Google

Saturday, July 01, 2006

Spiro-Mid Mountain-Wasatch Crest-Mid Mountain-Spiro Loop

I think I have a new favorite ride, and it is a killer. I thought I was going to die. By mile 25 I was spent, but it was all worth it. I guess this means I need to work on my riding physique. I guess riding 3 weeks after I broke my elbow in Moab may have had something to do with it, but the 3000+ vertical climb may have also. Hopefully Bill will send me the GPS maps so I can post a picture of our epic ride.

We start at the Park City resort parking lot and get onto the Spiro trail. Shortly thereafter you veer off onto the Mid Mountain trail. About 6 miles in you are at the top of Puke Hill and riding the Wasatch Crest. You join the crest at Scotts Pass. I was feeling really good, I had cleaned Puke Hill after 6 miles of brutal 1st gear grindage. Then it is pure Wasatch Crest bliss for about 10 miles. At the top of Millcreek Canyon you veer back towards the Canyons. This section is some of the finest single-track I have ever ridden. At about mile 20 You are at the Mid Mountain Lodge and it is time to refill the hydration pack. The next 5.5 miles you regain about 600 feet of elevation. It is mostly a middle-ring affair, but I had bonked. At about 24 miles I puked. The last 5 miles are all downhill rejoining the Mid Mountain and Spiro trails we had been on 6 hours earlier.

Needless to say I was spent when I got home. I think I made three mistakes. I didn’t eat a hearty enough breakfast, I didn’t drink enough water, and I didn’t bring a good lunch to eat. My legs and lungs felt strong, but my stomach was sick. This is a must re-visit ride. Maybe I can get someone to go with me on Monday!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->